Is that so?

So I never thought there would come a day when muah would be living in a Trailer park, but alas. I am. But hey it's got a gym, Internet, pool, so it's technically better than anywhere i've lived in the past few months! But it's hard to put aside the whole "Trailer Park" Stigma isn't it? I guess I should say "staying" rather than "living" since I haven't really "lived" anywhere in years. My Mom calls me a "transient" but I think of myself like Jack from Titanic. One day he was sleeping under a bridge, the next he's staring in the best selling movie of all time! Minus the whole drowning thing -(( no jack no! ))- he did pretty good for himself!

So just because you're in a certain circumstance doesn't mean you'll be there forever or it represents who you really are! I like to think of it as an adventure or a way to open my eyes what life is like for other people in the world. But thankfully i'll be moving back to "the oc" very soon! whew!

This reminds me of a story in a book i'm reading. Think of the trailer park and my "poordome" as the baby! Think of how it could be applied to your life as well. Just because you think something or someone makes you into something - doesn't mean that you're anything but yourself!



"The Zen master Hakuin was praised by his neighbors as one living a pure life.
A beautiful Japanese girl whose parents owned a food store lived near him. Suddenly, without any warnings, her parents discovered she was with child. This made her parents angry. She would not confess who the man was, but after much harassment at last named Hakuin.

In great anger the parents went to the master. "is that so?" was all he would say.

After the child was born it was brought to Hakuin. By this time he had lost his reputation, which did not trouble him, but he took very good care of the child. He obtained milk from his neighbors and everything else the little one needed.

A year later the girl-mother could stand it no longer. She told her parents the truth - that the real father of the child was a young man who worked in the fish market.

The mother and father of the girl at once went to Hakuin to ask his forgiveness, to apologize at length, and to get the child back again.

Hakuin was willing. In yielding the child, all he said was:

"Is that so?"

(Paul Reps, Zen Flesh, Zen Bones, pp. 7-8)
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1.2.1 - Shone

Mohenjo Daro

Nothing's real until you let go completely.